Monday, March 16, 2009

Opera and Osso Buco


On Sunday after church, I caravaned down to Indy with my pals Bob and Deni Yaggi. We headed to Clowes Hall to see the Indianapolis Opera Company perform Pirates of Penzance. This is one of my favorite shows of all time, having watched the Kevin Kline-Linda Rondstat-Angela Lansbury movie version of it often during my youth. The performance was excellent, and I was reminded again just how hysterical it is!

Three of the performers had done a light opera performance at the Honeywell Center that I attended a month or so ago and Deni and I ended up sitting with the director of the opera company, John Pickett. He told us about the upcoming production of Pirates, and we made plans to attend right then! So glad we did!


It was also nice to see this performed by an honest-to-goodness opera company with classically trained voices. Also nice that they had the words on the little subtitle screen. Even though this operetta is in English, it's such a fast show that it's very easy to miss words. At intermission, at the invitation of a well-connected acquaintance, we went out on the patio for wine and desserts in the "benefactor's suite" or something similar. The weather was PERFECT! I even had to break out the shades.

After the show, we had a leisurely dinner at Woodstock Club in Indy. I thoroughly enjoyed my Osso Buco with a nice Zinfandel. All my appetite could handle for dessert was The World's Smallest Sundae. It was a terrific Sunday afternoon, and also a great excuse to test out my new Bonneville on the highway!

Good times.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Wabash, IN, United States
Moved back to the Midwest after a brief foray to the Big Apple. Working at a museum and currently loving life. I'll let you know if that changes.